A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Grim Grotto (Book the Eleventh)

(out of 5)Ha ha ha heepa-heepa ho! Hot cha ha ha! Sniggle hee! As much as this book was full of laughter, there was very little but "misery" and "woe". As the eleventh installment of this "Unfortunate Series", it carried on with all the "disappointments" that these books continually uphold. I was pleased to see new friends (or possibly villians?) as well as plenty of twists and welcome (or unwelcome?) surprises. I have to say that as much as each book tends to have some slowing somewhere in the middle, I am always rewarded with an unexpected turn at the end to keep me moving on to the next episode.
The Grim Grotto kept me rather intrigued throughout - the new surroundings of the underwater world created for an interesting story. Being as this is nearing the end of the almost-to-be-completed 13 book series (aw..13), there is much to be learned in the mysterious lives of the Baudelaires and great rewards to the reader who has made it this far. I'd like to make a point regarding my opinion of the series. I think many a good reader may be turned away if they don't read past the first few books. Standing alone, I feel the first 4 books to be extremely repetitive and come across with a rather shallow plot. However, with continued reading, you soon realize along with the Baudelaires, that there is much more to their circumstance than merely a persistant Count Olaf pursuing their fortune. I am anxious to finish the series in its' entirety for I believe, as a whole, it will stand out as a very clever mystery series with amusing protagonists and villians as well. It may be best to remember the wise (or unwise?) words of Captian Widdershins who said, "he (or she) who hesitates is lost" for any who hesitates to read this Series will be a lost reader indeed.



2 Comments:
I think it's wonderful that you are reading and giving your reading experience some thought. Personally I would not recommend 'Unfortunate Events' to anyone with depression. At least don't read it, if you already feel a bit gloomy. Otherwise, it is a fun series, if you can take it for what it is. Sarah got discouraged with the constant 'unfortunate events. She may need to read 'The happy little elf' instead.
Aw... the Happy Little Elf... such a good story. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home